Anticipation

Oct 16, 2017

Since the moment my husband and I got the news that we were going to be grandparents, the seed of anticipation began to grow in our hearts. Many discussions surrounding "grandparent" names flew about the family. Normal shopping trips found me drawn to the long-abandoned baby section of the store as I wondered - boy clothes or girl clothes? Dinners at Chick-fil-a suddenly became observances of grandparents with grandchildren and we began to see ourselves in this role.

Days and weeks turned into months and we could see the evidence of this coming little one as our daughter-in-law's belly grew. Conversations about doctor visits, baby's health, mommy's health took precedence. And the seed of anticipation began to grow day by day as the due date drew near.

We are now in the month of the expected arrival of this long-awaited little one. And I have to tell you, the anticipation has reached all-consuming proportions. My thoughts are never far from the birth. When will it be? Will it be today? Will I get the phone call today? The phone is kept by my side and charged at all times for fear of missing a call. My dreams are about babies. My plans for the coming weeks are held loosely...subject to change the moment the call comes in and the news is announced of the arrival. Everything in me - my mind, my heart, my plans are all waiting at the edge of my seat in great anticipation for the arrival of this little person. I am ready and anxious to meet this little one face to face!

Yesterday in church, the pastor spoke to us about the return of Jesus. And while discussions are many about the how and when of His return, one thing we do know is that His return is sure. His Word is trustworthy and true and God's Word has told us that He will return and when He does return every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. Knowing what is going to happen in the future changes how we live today" the pastor said. "Are you ready for His return?"

For those who have confessed that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior in this life, we are ready for His return. In fact, those who are ready ought to be anticipating His return. Like awaiting the arrival of our new grandbaby, we do not know the day or the hour of His return. Are we eagerly anticipating His return with all of who we are - with our minds, our hearts and our wills. Is the anticipating of His arrival changing how we live life each and every day. Is our anticipation changing how we view our schedule, our priorities? Are we living with the sense of urgency when we wake up in the morning - could today be the day? Will I see His face today? God's Word not only tells us that His coming is sure, but that those who are ready will anticipate His coming - will be looking forward to His coming.

Philippians 3:20 says, "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ." Hebrews 9:28 ~ "So Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him." Jude 1:21 says, "Keep yourself in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life." And 2 Timothy 4:8 ~ "From now on the crown of righteousness is laid up for me, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award me on that day--and not only to me, but to all who crave His appearing."

Anxiously awaiting the birth of our first grandchild has awakened in me an awareness of what it means to anticipate, to long for, to crave the appearing of someone that I've never seen but my heart already loves.  How much more should that anticipation, longing, and craving be in our hearts as we look forward to the appearing of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the One whom we have yet to see with our eyes, but our souls already love?!

Be sure of this. Jesus is coming. Make sure you are ready. Look for Him. Long for Him. Perhaps it will be today.

2 comments

  1. Great post! I wish I would have read this before speaking on this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Actually, it was your sermon that inspired the blog post! =)

    ReplyDelete

Ponderings of a Pursuer of God © .